Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Update

Yes, I know I should "shit or get off the pot"

as my mother would say. And each day I ask myself why I haven't walked out the door.

So why haven't I?

The reasons will become apparent (I think) through this update on how and where things are.

I stayed until after my daughter's birthday. As i mentioned in a previous post, i had/have no desire to cause a bad memory to crop up every year around someone's birthday - even Mrs_C's birthday.

I am dreading Valentine's Day. I don't have any intention of splitting around then either. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the day yet.

Last summer I spent too much on my credit cards trying to buy my children's affection (which i already had/have, but that was before i even had the conversation with mrs_c, and i was wound up really bad - so i tried to engender good thoughts about me by buying stuff for the kids, and doing fun things together). I am bringing the cards under control/paying them off.

I have done a pile of billing for my business (which i still run on the side) to make sure that I get that cash in order to pay down the cards and generate a cushion for any departure.

I want to be financially prepared for when i go out the door.

I have also lined up a bunch of furniture and such from friends in the event that i need it. I don't have a problem with mismatching or second-hand furniture (for awhile anyway - as long as it's clean). I can always sew some covers (yes, i can sew). Anyway, even if i can't get it right, my Mom will help me... she has piles of sewing equipment.

I have been going to counselling and that has given me some perspective. As Kristin put it: "Counselling will help mature the decision". Mrs_C still refuses to go to counselling. At one time this fall after I told her i had started counselling she said she would go with me. I said that i didn't want to go jointly. I wanted her to go by herself to her own counsellor and understand what she feels. She has refused. The last time we went to counselling together she used it as a platform to describe how terrible i was and how terribly i treated her. Mrs_C stopped going and refused to go again after the counsellor told her she needed to change too. Specifically that she needed to get off my back (my paraphrase, not the counsellor's exact words). For the record, the counsellor made a list of things that mrs_c wanted. i achieved each and every one of those things on the list. and while mrs_c didn't like it when i asked, she agreed that each change had been attained at the time they were achieved.

I am continuing with the diet and exercise. I am stuck at between 37 - 40 lbs lost, but i am more toned than 4-6 weeks ago.

I look good. A lot of people tell me I look good. Men (hetero) and women. Friends and co-workers in my building. Mrs_C. My mother-in-law. etc.

I wonder how much of it is that i look that much better, and how much of it is the "fuck you" attitude i have adopted about many things.

I'm still the polite person i was, and i try really hard to be nice, but i have taken a very serious and abrupt anti-bullying stance. Whereas before i was always the peacemaker and the concilliator i am trying to adopt a more aggressive attitude when people are being unreasonable. You see, i always tried to find a way to make things work so that no-one else was made uncomfortable or disturbed when things didn't go quite as planned, or when a crisis would hit.

I'm still an extra helpful guy, but now i make them ask me instead of just taking it upon myself to run my ass off to fix someone else's problem.

I certainly don't look as tired. My allergies are down (diet and stress relief, i think). Because i look good, i dress to accentuate the physical changes. I cut my hair (shave/buzz head) every week, so that always looks cleaner, stronger, and more aggressive.

The snow will be gone soon.

It will be approaching 6 months since the conversation at the end of february. Probably a good time to do a serious review.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cadbury,
I am Kristin's partner. I have read your blog. I understand.

Seven years ago I left a partner, who was a 1-1 match to Mrs_C.

My ex has raised four lawsuits against me and lost them. She sequestered my funds and cost me everything I've ever owned + some. She has worked hard to antagonize my son against me. She has spread rumours about Kristin. She has tried to undermine and torpedo me in every possible way and she has had ample opportunity in that I have paid for her upkeep and she's been able to devote her entire energies to making life miserable for me and for us.

Do not read this as a scenario of what you've got coming. I'm relating it to raise your receptiveness to my mistakes in the hope that you will not repeat them:

I felt guilty about leaving. Moving out with just one cup, one plate, a knife, a fork and a mattress felt right, because I was strong and she wasn't. Oh, I also took out a lamp. She kept everything else.

My intention was to make a generous agreement with her and I readily signed for child support, alimony and a division of our funds way beyond my means.

I did not hire a lawyer although I suspected she had one. It was a situation I did not want to profit from.

Here is what I have learned:
I should not have signed anything without consulting a lawyer.
I should have had everything on paper.
I should have respected myself.

It has been my life's fortune to meet a woman - Kristin - who not only shared my experience, but who is also the gentlest, wisest and most tolerant being I have ever known.

It has taken us seven years to work our way out of my mistakes and I would not have been without a single minute of them. I am a better man for my experiences and the quality of my life now surpasses anything I could have imagined while I was with my former partner. The decision was right.

The buddhists say: "What you seek will find you". Resolve will find you sooner than you know. When the time comes, time will stand still and you will know that this moment will decide the rest of your life. You will make the right decision because you're ready for it now.

I'm concerned about the thought of leaving even one of your children with the woman you describe. I have a lot to add on this issue and it would be the first thing I would want to discuss with a lawyer. The rest is just paperwork.

Paperwork, freedom and unencumbered breathing. Life can be so much better. I know it ... now.

But this above all else is my most expensive experience: Consult a lawyer now.
Best regards
Larry
(larrymcjay at gmail.com)

Zephyr said...

I'm just now catching up with blogs, but I have to say... I was HORRIFIED to read Mrs C's quote a few posts back.

Every time I read your blog I just shake my head at the person she is... and that you are still there. While I understand your reasons, it is obvious she thinks only of herself. Others matter only in as much as they can give her what she wants. What a sad way to be.

Zephyr said...

I should add why i was horrified I guess... Just the thought that someone would never consider what they were doing to their partner in being so hurtful... makes me shake my head.