Monday, November 17, 2008

dad's surgery is on wednesday/withdrew from classes

as above

the prognosis is much better than i expected/was concerned

thank-you to Sicilian for the information you provided about bypass/replacement surgery

i am still VERY concerned about the possibility of stroke after the fact, as is my sister. my mother and father do not have the same level of concern, saying that the doctor has not mentioned it. i pressed my dad to ask the question specifically, but he hasn't so far.

i call avoidance...

----

i have put together a plan(s) and sold it to my sister (eldest child/overachiever of the family) to address the potential outcomes:

1) he's fine (normal recovery)
2) he dies
3) he clearly requires institutionalisation
4) he suffers a level of incapacitation that leaves it unclear if he should be in an institution... leaving my mother to care for him - which she can't. she cannot

in regard to instance 4: at my suggestion my sister made initial contact with the priest who is Vicar General of the Diocese and the Archbishop in the event that outside intervention is required to get my dad to agree to going to an institution. he can be a selfish, egotistical, self-centred son-of-a-bitch at times.

very kind many days, but he generally comes first in his world and he really doesn't care whom he inconveniences or puts out.

(i remember one time i was in a briefing with the Premier of the province - he called my cell phone. i skipped the call. he called 3 more times and i finally said i needed to take the call. i told my father "Dad - I'm in a briefing with the Premier." his response: "Oh... Well, I'll only take a minute."

I hung up on him and turned off my cell phone (i generally leave it on at all times so the kids can reach me).

----

my mom is in pretty rough shape - this si taking a terrible toll on her

she has post polio syndrome

what is post polio? i believe it is fibromyalgia - as do a number of experts in the field. either way it mirrors the fatigue and fog of FM. and the pain and the stress responses.

----

as noted in the post title, i dropped my classes

more later

P.S.

thank-you to all of you for your thoughts, wishes and prayers


i mean that in the most heartfelt way

thank-you

5 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Oh, Cad.....I'm sorry about all this. I am glad, however, that your sister is with you on this. A united front is always better.

I hope things go well for your dad.

hugs,
Pissy

Wien. said...

I'm thinking of you Cad, and your family as well.

hugs of courage to you,
P.

Anonymous said...

Cad,
I'm sending hard hugs and good wishes to you, your dad, your family.

Hang in,
lots of love,
Lil'sis

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . I think you have thought of every possible outcome. Again I say they . . . . the MDs will not take a really high risk patient to the OR unless he or she is dying when they come in. .. then there is really no option . . . . docs really don't want a patient to have a poor outcome so they will usually tell you up front that the risk of death or stroke is high . . . the new drugs are great to help with any complications. . . . sometimes the process for getting back to normal is very long, and I agree that your mother can't take care of him. .. . . you are thinking correctly to have all your ducks in a row. . . .
God's best to you and yours . . . . .
Ciao

Wien. said...

Well, Wednesday is pretty much over on the West coast of California. I've been thinking of you all day, and hoping that you'll be blogging good news soon.
w.