Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Self-help, Self-awareness, and Enlightenment

On Friday I asked Mrs_C if she wanted to accompany me to my exercise session. I prefer the notion of going without her for of a number of reasons, but I am trying to be decent and giving.

I go with my son because he just does his thing while I do mine and we just walk in and out together with a little goofing in between. Otherwise it is like being solo.

Going anywhere with Mrs_C is usually a high maintenance event. When I'm exercising I want to be only in touch with myself and my own body - focus.

As we were getting ready to leave, I said something I shouldn't have. I said, "You know, you can be a competitive person at times, so don't feel that you have to keep up with what I'm doing - I have been at this for awhile and you haven't."

Oops. My Bad. Really. Shouldn't have said it.

This launched a speech on how I unfairly characterise Mrs_C. She then says she's not going with me. I apologised and said we should just go anyway and she should please forget that I said what I did.

No go. 2 hours later (no exercise session...) things had calmed down. I had explained why I said what I did, and why competitive was probably the wrong word.
(you see, Mrs_C, as I talked about in previous posts, has a tendency to match any work anyone else is doing [and do a little more] just to prove that she can match anyone. Not really competitive, but close.])

We actually ended up going for coffee and talking through some of the issues we rub each other the wrong way about.

Mrs_C has been reading a self-help website and suggested I was doing the following (from that site):

"Uproar

The set up: a touchy or explosive topic is brought up prior to going out for a nice evening or doing something important.

The ulterior motive: to avoid having a good time and becoming more intimate with the partner (because you are mad at him/her and/or are afraid of being in love and then getting rejected and/or are too insecure to leave an unhappy relationship).

The pay off: a good fight that reduces the closeness and intimacy in a relationship where intimacy makes us uneasy."
Psychological Self-Help


I don't think I was doing that. I could have been, but i don't think so.

I explained to her that my motives (as I am aware of them) were more directly selfish than that. The logic train:

I like exercising. I want to continue exercising. Mrs_C has a tendency to try to match people and more. If she came exercising and got a sore muscle or didn't enjoy herslef, then she would denigrate my activity (insert various examples of this behaviour from the past here [she did not dispute my examples]). It will make it more difficult for me to continue, and reduce my enjoyment of the activity. If Mrs_C does not overdo her first day she would be less likely to hate it, and I would be more likely to be able to continue doing what I want to do.

Mrs_C had some problems wrapping her head around my assertion that it was not a game, but was the selfish logic train above.

But she said she would accept that explanation.

The two hours spent talking were not wasted time, this time. Less efficient from a problem solving standpoint than I prefer, but being as it was a discussion of many mushy emotional issues without a huge amount of common terrain/language, I can/could easily accept that things were bogged down here or there. Mrs_C found the site listed above - finally found a some language that appealed to her - and had showed it to me when I got home (before supper and plans to go exercise).

She told me that she found herself recognising a whole series of games she plays.

She says she is going to try to be more self-aware of what she does.

She asked me to be patient as she tries to stop playing games.

3 comments:

CP said...

This is a great thing. One step at a time, C. Baby steps. One day at a time. Undoing years of dysfunction takes a lot more effort than you realize.

CP.

Big Pissy said...

It's so great that you two were able to have an actual constructive discussion!

Progress!

Good luck!

terry said...

seems like a really positive step, since you were able to get at some of the issues that have dogged you two, and that she still sounds open - at least right now - to examining her own role in what's wrong.

and i think cp said it best, about undoing years of dysfunction.