Saturday, July 05, 2008

July 4th - Independence Day (pt 2)

i left to exercise at about 6:30pm. on the way - well, not exactly on the way - but while i was in my vehicle i wandered around to take an outside tour of some houses i will be looking at on saturday.

i arrived at the health club by about 7:15pm and did my 2 hours - something over 1400 calories later - something over 8 miles later - something over 100 50lb ab crunches - and more - later, i left. no creaks, no groans - a few sore abs, but nothing else

----

it was a perfect hot humid night

i had planned on going home

normally this would be my first night with the kids, but they left for calgary with their mother today. i was on my own.

it was a perfect hot humid night

it was 9:18 - the sun wasn't all the way down

i called Smitten and asked her if she wanted to go sit on a deck somewhere - i said i could be ready in 12 minutes (her daughter is out at the lake with her father, and Smitten's son is 13 and likes to be on his own).

Smitten - to my surprise - agreed.

to my surprise i actually managed to get home, shower and change in 12 minutes

7 minutes or so later i was at her house and we were on our way.

we went to a somewhat expensive, but very fun wine bar in the artsy section of town - they have a great front patio/sidewalk cafe(ish) outdoor area.

we drank wine and sangria.

we talked

----

no-one spazzed on me when i went to exercise

no-one spazzed on me when i wanted to go drink wine and sit outside

no-one told me what to order, or said it would cost too much

----

we sat until about 11:30pm - roughly the time that i had left 2 years previous - not intentionally - in fact we laughed when we got in my van and it was 11:27pm - the exact minute i had been pulling out of my driveway 2 years previous

we had toasted independence

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for people to dissolve the bands which have connected them with another..."

we toasted the future

when i dropped her off at her house she said "I'll bet that two years ago you never thought that two years in the future you would be dropping your girlfriend off at home after an evening out like this..."

i said "Yes, as a matter of fact I did imagine that in two years I would be dropping off my hot blonde girlfriend after an evening of drinking wine on an outdoor patio on a perfect summer evening... yes... yes I did."

----

i came home

as i hadn't eaten much earlier (7 shrimp) before i left to exercise, i ate a midnight dinner of leftover cold steamed asparagus, raw broccoli, spinach salad with tomato slices, fresh pineapple chunks, and cold gazpacho soup

i enjoyed each piece of healthy food i ate

----

it is still a perfect evening

i have my balcony door open (screen on) and the breeze is coming through

i just enjoyed a small glass of single malt scotch - the first drink i have had with no-one else present in probably 18 or 19 years

it was good

i don't want any more

but it was quite a moment that i have had one - having felt so strongly about the subject of drinking alone for so long

and i don't feel guilty, or that i've done something wrong, or that i am even taking anything back, or giving a "back at ya"

i just enjoyed a glass of scotch because i wanted one

after enjoying an evening out with my girlfriend

my choice

my decision

independently made

6 comments:

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . you are man who is similar to a rose bud. . . . . you have been tight, closed up, but still beautiful on the inside . . . . as time goes by and you begin to open up like roses do. . . . your true inner beauty is exposed. . . . and even though you were beautiful in the bud state. . . . you now have come full circle. . . . you have blossomed fully. . . . you finally feel whole. . . . complete. . . . I read it about you. . . . I feel it in your writings. . . . you have come a long way baby!
Ciao

Mouthy Girl said...

Excellent analogous relationship between your life and the independence of my country.

I concur with you regarding how doing something purely for yourself rather than out of spite, etc. can be so fulfilling. Glad you enjoyed the scotch, the wine, time with Smitten, and your exercise regimen. Keep up the great work - you're creating a work of art here, Cadbury! I'm proud of you!

Big Pissy said...

Cad,

I'm SO proud of you.

So proud....

{{{hugs}}}

~Pissy

Honi said...

sounds like a great independence day..its amazing how we grow when things change that once strangled us.

terry said...

good for you, cad. i'm smiling for you.

Balloon Pirate said...

great job. continue to let go of your ex. it's hard to do, i know. but everytime you celebrate her not being there you're giving her some power.

i like that you made all those choices. it's tough for us to get back in the habit of making them. i like meatloaf. i cook a good one. but it wasn't until two years after she left me that i realized i could make meatloaf again.

yeharr