Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two interesting articles related to a recent study on weight loss. I very much recommend reading them - they are not long articles:

55 minutes of daily activity the ticket to weight loss: study

Weight loss: Men have the edge

"Do men really lose more weight and lose it faster than women?

The answer is yes, guys do have an easier time shedding pounds (I'm sorry, ladies). Men, it seems, have both a physiological and psychological edge when it comes to losing weight." - Globe and Mail

----

The commentary in the articles and in the study itself about the psychological differences in approach were really quite interesting.

Without suggesting her state of mind is in any way a blanket or even widespread representation of how women think - Smitten and I have discussed any number of times how she would not be able to do my regimen for more than a couple of days.

She says she would get bored.

That the idea of getting on a machine (AMT, elliptical, treadmill) and just doing a repetitive action for an hour and a half or two hours straight would de-motivate her almost immediately. She says that she needs more stimulation and change.

We have discussed the psychological differences in our makeup and background when it comes to such things.

She says that if something doesn't make her happy she just doesn't do it.

Me, i have had "eye on the ball"/goal orientation drilled into me for my whole life and anything that i determine that i really want i generally don't let go of until achieved or i get knocked off by an insurmountable external effect.

blah, blah, blah

loss of focus and point in this post

and i have an assignment to finish...

see you

(read the articles - they really are interesting)

3 comments:

ohc said...

Yeah, exercise...is it supposed to make you happy? It makes me curse and moan as I do it, but I feel better. Feeling better is the key. If you feel better aren't you happier?
Boring, yeah...sweating...yeah, but sticking to it says a lot. Glad you are sticking to it!

Mouthy Girl said...

I am committed to making more time for exercise if only to help my mood improve. The payoff of toning up and possibly being able to lose more weight are just proverbial icing on the cake.

Did I say cake?

I'm currently in a weight loss challenge with some people and am trying my damndest to lose inches if not weight - although, truth be told, I would love to prove my surgeon wrong and be able to drop at least another 40lbs. I'm a bitch like that.

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . I am goal oriented too. I am currently paying money to get on a scale in front of a bunch of women once a week at work.
I admire you sir. . . . keep it up.
Ciao