Thursday, November 23, 2006

Smitten and impromptu dinner with my parents

Smitten and I went hiking last weekend. That was fun, even if a little frosty (about -4C). A nice day. There's not much snow around here yet.



Went by my parents' place to pick some stuff up after the hike.

I had called to advise them that I would be by late in the afternoon "after we go for a hike". I did not elaborate on who "we" were. When we arrived it was about 6pm. I popped in the grab the stuff. They invited me to stay for supper. I advised them that Smitten was waiting in the vehicle, and they suggested I invite her as well.

I checked with her and we accepted the invitation.

Supper was good. My parents think Smitten is pleasant.



My Mom had picked up on the "we" in my statement.

She decided spontaneously to invite us. She said later (to me) that she had not had the idea until that moment.

I had predicted to Smitten that they would invite us in, but had said I didn't know if they actually would. I did not ask her to join me in my initial entrance into the house because I did not want to put my parents in an awkward position.

I did not know if they would want to meet her at this time.

I was pleased they invited her.

3 comments:

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . It sounded like a perfect way to finish the day. . . . that puts no pressure on Smitten or your parents. . . . and I am sure she was very pleased too.
I do love to entertain just like that too!
Ciao

SignGurl said...

You are so thoughtful, on all accounts. You made that easy for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you stop by your parents before going on the hike with Ms_S?

Seems you wanted your parents to meet her, but you were too chicken to tell your parents or Ms_S that was the case.

I suppose suddenly arriving with Ms_S sitting in a freezing car made things easier for you, but think of what could have happened. Your parents could have said they wanted her gone immediately. Then what? You would have left without the things you came to get, and Ms_S would be left asking questions.

While the way you described the encounter was fine, you took a huge risk and placed both your parents and Ms_S in a situation that might not have turned out quite so pleasant.

Thoughtful people make sure of things well before arrival. Just my opinion.