Monday, December 04, 2006

AIDS Day

Went to the AIDS day fundraising drag show with Smitten.

I was the only straight guy there.

One of Smitten's friends/colleagues "B" from the regional women's centre board was the organizer. She works for the local AIDS awareness organization. She made a point of inviting us when I met her recently at a women's centre fundraiser with Smitten.

It was a good show.

At one point there was an auction. They were auctioning a condom vest. The MC got bored of being an auctioneer and declared herself (um, himself... um, whatever) the winning bid at double the going bid and told B to give it to whomever B wanted.

B gave it to me.

There was much hilarity in the room. They'd all somehow figured out I wasn't gay.

So I put it on and wore the vest all night.

I matched the winning bid with my own donation. It seemed the right thing to do. I later figured out that it won me much face with the entire crowd and especially all the Women's Centre activists (and friends of Smtten) that were there (Smitten said she didn't realise how many of the people on the board were gay. She said it never really crossed her mind...).

People (but mostly guys) kept feeling the vest. Lots of times they seemed to miss the vest and hit my ass. Even lots of the Lesbian crowd were grabbing my ass. I was good natured about it and tried to engage in a witty level of reparté. I suspect they were playing "shock the uptight straight guy".

After the show we stayed and danced. Gay clubs always play the best music. Oddly enough, I had been in more gay clubs than Smitten. She'd never been to one before.

When things got too overtly "cruising" sexual surrounding us on the dance floor Smitten wanted to leave.

We went to say god-bye to B. Miss Gay [My City] grabbed my ass while we were talking to B. All the guys clustered around Miss Gay [My City] were telling me I had to come back the next year to model the vest - except without a shirt. They were all hooting and demanding a preview.

I stood there for a moment figuring out what to do.

So I unbuttoned my shirt partway and flashed them a shot of my ever-so-manly chest.

There were many screams of delight, and several comments of "I'm in love!"

Epilogue:

I am told that my good-natured response to the whole thing has won many plaudits from various people. The story has even found it's way into my workplace through the social activist crowd. People know people who know people. It's not a big city...

I'm still not attracted to guys, even if a few of the cross-dressers did look pretty good as women. But it was kind of flattering to have that attention and positive commentary.

And Smitten appreciated me being good about it all.

And that's really the important part.

Her husband was a beer drinkin' sports watchin' kind of guy. Who wouldn't go check out the club when Smitten wanted to.

I did go - and had fun with her and the situation. She appreciates me.

I think "I'm in love".

4 comments:

CP said...

This simply rocks. Sure sure, the relationship bullshit is really nice too. I'm happy for ya and all that crap. But, you went out and made some social change, not just financially, but within your own heart. You are opening eyes and minds, Cad...and for THAT, I admire you tremendously. AIDS is my pet cause along with domestic violence and it thrills me to no end when I see a 'straight man' being strong enough to put his manhood out there (no pun intended) for the cause.

You rawk.

CP.

Big Pissy said...

cp said it best! :)

Michelle said...

I think Anonymous said it best. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Balloon Pirate said...

Good for you!

And I'm with anon on this one. Stop classifying people as gay or straight.

Hell, stop classifying them as men and women also. That's also a precursor to bigotry.

You mentioned clothing--specifically vests. This proves you're a sleevaphobe. Watch out about that. Pretty soon you'll be judging people by their hems and you know where that leads.

Omygod! Stop classifying people as people! By doing so, you're denigrating all the nonhumans! Stop referring to people at all! Or any organisms, for that matter!

Because only that way can you be fair to barely formed skin sacks like anonymous.

yeharr