Friday, December 22, 2006

lost blogs and quickly nuking

someone i know had to ditch their blog in a hurry.

i am prepared for such an eventuality as well.

with my line of work and with other possible overflow - this blog could become a liability pretty quick.

i use a program called backstreet browser that will archive an entire site that you point it at. it is useful for my work and for other uses in my line of activities

i have backed up my blogs

i use a program called cryptainer to encrypt my data and these back-ups. the free version creates encrypted files up to 25Mb in size.

these files, when opened, act like a USB finger drive or other portable memory device (eg: digital camera) - so it just temporarily adds another drive letter to your system - you can have 5 open volumes at once.

there are couple of other options i have considered - there is some option in your blogger profile (or at least used to be) that can be set to disallow people to see your profile. if they can't see your profile, they can't see your blog list. you can also change the URL and name of your blog. i am assuming this could be used to buy 20 minutes for a back-up of a blog before nuking.

i do not know what the impact would be if you had a private blog that you had sent permissions for - whether the invitees would still be able to find the blog even if the name was changed

i am intending to experiment with the escape hatch on my other blog

i'll let you know

4 comments:

Sicilian said...

Can't be happy with just controlling the comments. I will be very unhappy if I don't get my Cad fix.
Ciao

cadbury_vw said...

thank-you sicilian

hey - i'm not intending to bug out

but i needed a plan because of my real life

it just happened to a friend though, and it made me think that it was probably time to share some of my thinking with my friends here

just in case

BTW - i won't go away - i would just reincarnate

Nobody said...

I wish I was so suave with the computey, Cad?! Though the switchy was no one's fault but my own (stupidity.

cadbury_vw said...

hey eve,

good to see you reincarnated

i just figured the situation warranted sharing what i have thought about with my friends

as you are aware, my work is such that it could be publically very messy if i was discovered, so i created a relatively elaborate set of escape hatches

i felt bad about never sharing my thinking or tools before - and then someone has to ditch everything including archives and such