Friday, December 15, 2006

express yourself

i...

expressed

myself

last night

to my kids about their choices surrounding christmas, their disregard for the fact that my parents stayed here for two extra months in the cold just to be with them for christmas (my Mom has a cold exacerbated illness), that my sister was going to go be warm for christmas too - but chose to come here instead

and daughter's continuing choices about ditching me on weekends, and still asking me to play taxi and be there for her when she wants to go places

and daughter asking me for $40 to buy Christmas presents for stbx-Mrs_C's family at the point that they are getting ready to leave on their ski vacation with their Mom - and why wouldn't she ask her Mom for that cash? and why should i subsidize gifts for people that character assassinate me privately and publicly (including mutual professional settings)?

and son not living up to his written and signed agreements on household chores and schoolwork

that they wouldn't interupt their ski vacation fun to come back even a couple of days early to see my parents and family (i offered to fly them home [steep discount]) - until the trip itinerary got altered (by stbx-Mrs_C) and had them doing something not so exciting on the last few days - then they asked about getting flown home - after the seat sales were gone

and the fact that i was irritated by the bidding war that seemed to be arising for their affection

and that i wouldn't be participating in that bidding war. that they could take me or leave me just the way i am

and when challenged on raising my voice and being upset

i asked them if only their emotions counted - and if mine were invalid - or i wasn't allowed to have them

and that it was pretty easy to ditch dad 'cause he's the one that never gets upset - so it's easy to ignore me because i'll just suck it up - and they can always come back and i'll be there for them

and that they take that and me for granted



i gave daughter the $40. she asked for money - that is my choice - give the money or not

so i did

it would be improper to try to extend a set of rules about how she can spend money that is freely given. to attempt to control her.

i still have feelings about the issue - and expressed them - but in the end, the choice is about whether to give her the money she wants for something that she feels is important to her - no matter what the problems i may have with her aunts/etc are - daughter's relationship is fine - and if she wants to do something, then my only choice is whether to support it or not - not to control it



found out last night that stbx-Mrs_C had been telling the kids that she was buying all their new clothes on her exclusive dime - even though i have been shelling out half the cost

so the kids thought she had dropped about $800 in the last couple of months on clothes when i have been ponying up

fascinating

BTW - i have put stbx-Mrs_C on notice that she has to rein in spending on clothes for the kids because i just can't cough up every time she decides an outfit is cute - we either get a spending pre-approval system in place or she proposes a budgetted amount because this isn't working for me

i recognise that kids outgrow stuff, but when i challenged on what items were outgrown there were only a few that were able to be produced

most of these clothes came from those weekend shopping expiditions daughter would ditch me for

if stbx-Mrs_C wants to buy off the kids she'll need to do it on her own dime.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's me~Pissy.

I haven't switched over to beta yet, so I have to sign in as anonymous b/c blogger isn't letting me sign in any other way. :(

When is your divorce going to be final?

CP said...

Your ex is a real trip. She is really using those kids to death. Personally, I wouldn't give her another fucking dime until a judge makes the decision of what you need to shell out and when. You shouldn't have to buy your kids. But, they're teens...and they are attracted to whoever is going to buy them, bring them, get them, do for them, etc. Don't fall into the trap. And, FYI? Kids of divorce are EXTREMELY manipulative. Sometimes even subconsciously so. Be wary.

CP.

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . I think you did the right thing to lay your emotions and feelings out for the kids. You have basically been a doormat for years. . . they know it. . . they use it consciously or unconsciously.
The soon to be X. . . is doing everything she can to disrupt your life. Don't fund her shopping sprees. . . and I sure wouldn't donate money for gifts for her family. . . your choice. . . and realize that she is manipulating your kids too. She does everything she can to stab you in the back. . . it is a cruel game. . . watch your back Mr. C.
Ciao

Anonymous said...

Hi Caddy!!

How old are your kids again?

cadbury_vw said...

Pissy: July 4 (independence day?) is the date it will be uncontestable. i drop the papers on that day, pay the fee and its done about a week later after the processing

CP: how right you are.

i'm drawing up the separation documents over christmas while i have plenty of spare time... i'm taking a couple of weeks leave in early January to care for other loose ends. that set of documents will delimit all of this. i already gave her verbal notice i wouldn't pay for any more clothes unless i gave advance approval.

i am drawing up the documents myself and then having them reviewed by the lawyer. save a couple grand - i am working from some other example agreements some friends provided.

Sicilian: i think you've called it right when you say the kids understand intrinsically where my head is at.

NWG: good to see you around. i was a little worried.

15 and 10 (very soon 11)

----

interesting note: went to the doctor. went to get letters for medical insurance stuff to pay for more counselling (work direct payment plan ran out)

my doctor and stbx-Mrs_C's doctor are in the same large clinic. my doctor trains medical students for family practice as part of the medical school/residency stuff. she's pretty good.

my doctor has also known stbx-Mrs_C for about 10 years when stbx-Mrs_C switched to a doctor in my clinic because her doctor moved away.

talked to doctor about my situation. talked about my belief that stbx-Mrs_C is borderline personality disorder.

doctor said: i am not a psychiatrist, so i can't make a true diagnosis. but i've been in family practice for awhile... and i wouldn't argue with you for what you've said.

she then told me to stay on track with what i'm doing with counselling, diet, exercise and stuff.

i felt validated