Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Party Report

The party went well. Some of the folks who were invited did not attend because of work Christmas parties they had a higher level of obligation for - one couple had a friend in from England and were having a mixer for her - which we were invited to... They all made raincheques and extended hard date invitations (which we have accepted) to come to their places for a reciprocal engagement.

There was enough food to both awe and terrify the guests.

A variety of champagne cocktails were served in addition to wine.

Carols, conversation, and listening to a recording of a funny Christmas reading by Stewart McLean - Polly Anderson's Christmas Party.

It was low key and nice. Not the raging success in turnout I had hoped for, but it was a success from every other standpoint, so I am happy. Smitten was happy as well. It was the first Christmas party she had ever had - the first party she had ever had - where she didn't have to do all the work and all the planning and all the direction of execution (of food preparation, table set-up, shopping, blah, blah).

We were pleased to do it together. She accepted my overcooking. I'm working on it... (for the record - in my ethnic culture and my family - if party goers don't walk away in pain from having so much good food people can't resist eating too much - you haven't done your job as host).

I am tickled. We are planning our next January doldrums party - we are retaining Mom's chocolate fountain for the duration they are down in the States for the rest of the cold.

The fountain was quite a hit. I liked the pineapple and the apple-pear covered in chocolate the best. Smitten only had one piece that night - so the next morning we warmed up the leftover chocolate to put into big Ziploc bags for the next time (the fountain takes about 10 cups of chocolate) - and then ate bunch more fruit dipped in the leftover chocolate on the bowl.

It was a decadent breakfast.

Very enjoyable.

4 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Good to hear the party went well. :)

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . .Hip Hip Hoorayyyyyyy! I am glad you all had a great time. Isn't life grand when you are both on the same page.
Ciao

Balloon Pirate said...

looks like whaver bug was up blogger's ass has passed, allowing me to comment again.

yay!

sounds like you had a great time. yay, again.

re: your kids (previous post): i have similar problems with mine--not money-related, but the same sort of issues. all I can do is continue to be as healthy as I can--mentally and physically. i dp my best to express anger and dissapointment in nonaggressive fashion. it's my hope that they will look at the way both parents live, and perhaps try to make the best decisions for their lives.

i can imagine how disappointed you are with their choice this year, but there will be other years.

good luck! I'm pulling for ya!

yeharr

SignGurl said...

Did you say you are keeping the chocolate fountain? Yummmm