Thursday, March 22, 2007

I'm not dead yet

since the 13th...

one of the big ethnic dance festivals was this last weekend. it's all volunteer labour from the parents and families. i was one of the principal organizers - volunteer organizer. i was the one to keep on top of whether everyone showed up as well as my own shifts.

didn't have much time to post

stbx-Mrs_C signed up for her shift using her unhyphenated name. my last name being dropped. i suspect she was making a point for my benefit. i could give a shit. i wanted her to just keep her own name to begin with when we got married - she was the one that insisted on going hyphenated - i actually had to persuade her not to take my name and drop her own.

son had his friends over - fed them the pickled octopus too - it was funny - especially the teenaged girls. they all ended up trying it, though. i have amazing powers of persuasion [heh]

went over to Smitten's on the weekend while son had his friends over. her daughter (8) was playing movie star dress-up with her friend. they were being starlets and i was play-acting the manservant for a laugh - at one point i offered her a foot massage (purely for humour effect). to my surprise she accepted. so i ended up doing foot massage. daughter was all giggles at first because she just said yes for a laugh, but then started seeing the benefit in foot massage. then she decided she needed a back and shoulder massage too. after awhile she decided she didn't want me to stop. it was kind of funny.

the friend thought massage was weird, so Smitten did some shoulder and neck work on the friend - friend's view changed as well

as i read the above i'm thinking "why the hell would you care?". but it's written anyway, so i'm leaving it in. it was a nice moment for me to be part of Smitten's family and to have her daughter trust me. and to have Smitten trust me (Smitten was there - but after stbx-Mrs_C and her issues... that's a big deal for me)

----

my daughter has been over a bunch of times this week because stbx-Mrs_C is working a later shift. she tried to stop daughter and throw some roadblocks in the way, but daughter has resisted a bit.

daughter has also been quite adamant about getting back to the house before stbx-Mrs_C, so I'm not sure her mom knows she's hanging with me. i should have asked, but i figured i'd let sleeping dogs lie.

got to go now

oh, also - this is one of the heaviest periods (couple of weeks) of the year at work in addition to my volunteer and parenting activities, so i'm a little bogged and a little flat in my writing

the next 6-8 weeks will also be fairly heavy, but not nuts like the last 2 weeks

6 comments:

SignGurl said...

I'm glad to see you back!

How sweet of you to play dress up with Smitten's daughter and friend. You are a good daddy!

Balloon Pirate said...

Good job keeping it light during stressful times!

yeharr

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . if you were my man . . . I would be looking to see if my kids were comfortable around you. . . I would be looking to see if you were comfortable around them. . . you have passed with flying colors. . . I do understand how important that is for you and Smitten.
The daughter. . . I am glad you let her fight her own battles with her mom. . . she (the daughter) isn't stupid. . . and I think you will shine in the end. . .
Fantastic news . . . and so glad you wrote it out.
Ciao

Jason said...

>stbx-Mrs_C signed up for her >shift using her unhyphenated >name..my last name being dropped. >i wanted her to just keep her own >name to begin with when we got >married - she was the one that >insisted on going hyphenated - i >actually had to persuade her not >to take my name and drop her own.

No wonder you were a battered husband.

JasonE

cadbury_vw said...

hi Jason

your comment reflects an interesting view of equality in marriage (one i do not agree with), and that you likely haven't read the rest of my blog.

your comment also, i think, reflects why you have a grand total of 1 comment on your entire blog since november 2006

here's a website that will give you a few tips http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Friends.

here's a little excerpt:

"Accept everyone for who they are and never bring anyone down (especially if they've done nothing to hurt or offend you). This communicates insecurity."

here's another tip from the same webpage:

"Be positive. Fill your speech with uplifting words. Don't be condescending and insulting in an effort to get attention."

Big Pissy said...

I'm so glad things are going well with Smitten and her children.

You're a great dad! :)