Friday, June 13, 2008

last day at work

this is my last day at work

3 months vacation and banked time from now (mid september) i will be terminated without cause and given a package - the agreement is signed and filed with and through the union

not sure how i feel

i'm sad to leave some of the people

i'm sad to leave politics - who knows if i will ever be back in the day-to-day game. it has been a lifetime

i still believe. that's part of the reason i'm leaving. the crew i work for don't believe. that's why we lost. that's why they are directing fire inward instead of fighting the good fight outside.

even earning less, i was happier in my work running my own business some 10 years ago...

i have left the protective cocoon of my marriage. i have left the protection of my parents - i still have their support, but they are no longer strong enough to protect me - nor do i need them to protect me. i am leaving my workplace and the extended (dysfunctional) family of my party and politics

standing on the edge of tomorrow

this is sort of like the action movie moment when the protagonist (like James Bond are Arnold) jumps out of one plane without a parachute to get to the other plane...

damn

giving up a pretty good paying job to go back to school...

hoping expecting to find a job when i'm out. i know i'm really, really pretty good at what i do... but i have been unemployed and underemployed so often. and told i suck so often that i am still second guessing myself

here's the plan:

get the computer science certificate

get a job - preferably with a bank

when my kids are out of school and on to university/tech school apply for a job at one of the canadian banks that operate in the Caribbean and move there. a friend of mine did it going to the cayman islands - he was a lawyer - so even less useful than a computer guy

more blithering later - the other staff are taking me for lunch

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cad,

I'm so excited for you, nervous and excited! I wish I had half the courage and moxie baby! I'm so excited too that you're letting us read along on your journey...I've no doubt wherever it ends it'll be good:)

Lots of Love,
lil'sis

Wien. said...

Congratulations Cad!!! It's your graduation. Time to celebrate growth. I'm proud of you for some reason and a bit envious at the same time.
You can do anything you set your sights for. I'd live in the tropics in a heart beat. You'll have your toes in the sand in no time!

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . I think having a plan . . . a dream. . . . can one ask for much more than that. . . . I have spent my whole life planning around everyone else. . . . I admire you . . . . and I long for a plan . . . . a dream as yours. . . . . in my mind Costa Rica is the dream. . . . . but who knows. . . . there is family in Sicily. . . .in one more year. . . . the options will be limitless.
Ciao

Wien. said...

Cad,

Have a good vacation time, soak it up and love those kids of yours.

Happy summer!

Till I get back,
W.

Big Pissy said...

Cad,

What a great plan! I can SO see you living in the tropics...relaxing...enjoying life...

I'm excited for you!

hugs,
Pissy