Monday, May 01, 2006

What Was Her Parents' Marriage Like?

Answering another of the questions posed in comments:

Terry asked the question: "what was her parents' marriage like?"

The answer:

Mrs_C_mother_in-law hounds Mrs_C_father_in-law all the time. I mean hounds. She tells him what to do from start to finish - she will tell him what to do and how to do it on everything from making coffee to side-seat driving. It is to the the point where Mrs_C and her sisters have told her (various times) to back off hounding the old guy.

When he is in private he will talk a fair bit, but around her he remains silent most of the time. She will correct him or cut him off with almost every statement he make.

Mrs_C_father_in-law is not a very educated guy (he's just over 80 now - he has a grade 6). As the oldest son he worked to put all the younger ones through school and such. He has a good heart. I think he's a good guy, even if we don't connect as well as we could - we both try (him: work with his hands farmer guy. me: more academic brain work guy...)

My Mom likes Mrs_C_father_in-law, even if she finds his worldview somewhat, uh, limited. And he is conservative politically - my family is VERY NOT conservative. My Mom is, uh, a little less generous with Mrs_C_mother_in-law. I believe the term she used was "harridan".

Mrs_C_mother_in-law is ok in my books, except for how she treats Mrs_C_father_in-law. Mrs_C_mother_in-law also has a few sort of one-uppy tendencies that irk me, but I ignore them for the most part. Mrs_C (for example) will describe to Mrs_C_mother_in-law a labourious process she went through to solve some problem (usually around renovations or somthing) and then describe the solution. Mrs_C_mother_in-law will then go "Oh yeah, well you should have done it this way from the beginning" or "I could have told you that" as though Mrs_C_mother_in-law knew the answer from the beginning... it is a not very subtle one-up that pisses me off.

Mrs_C_mother_in-law likes me and treats me well in person. I do not know about in private conversation, but I think she doesn't do me overt dirt.

There are four sisters (including Mrs_C). All of the Brothers-in-law have had battles with their wives when they have displayed Mrs_C_mother_in-law tendencies. All of us have said we would leave before we would let happen to us, what has happened to Mrs_C_father_in-law.

Mrs_C and the sisters are all wound up when they are around Mrs_C_mother_in-law. If Mrs_C_mother_in-law starts a task (like cleaning the table) all the sisters dive in to the point they are tripping over each other.

All the sisters have described their mother as often manipulative and a master guilt-tripper.

Mrs_C_mother_in-law beat/violently disciplined her two older daughters (including Mrs_C) when they were young (under 12).

9 comments:

Zephyr said...

Um... I'm thinking "like mother/like daughter" applies bigtime here.

terry said...

well, there you have it. we tend to follow the leader, where our parents are concerned.

and those are awfully hard habits to change, since this is what she was taught about marriage.

is she aware of the similarities between her actions and those of her mother? that would be a start, i think.

Mouthy Girl said...

Couple of things:
I think you've gone where you and your brothers-in-law have said you wouldn't go.

Harridan is prime word to describe your MIL...and Mrs. C...my opinion.

This last one may sound harsh, but I'm going to say it anyway: Being abused as a child doesn't mean you have to mimic your abuser or use the abuse as an excuse to mistreat others in another manner. I know this first-hand but won't hijack your post with the details. If you like, email me.

Big Pissy said...

I agree with everything Buddha Girl said in her comment on this post and your last post.

Get out while you still can.....

t_cole said...

ditto
ditto
ditto

southern peach said...

I think it all plays a role in her and her attitude towards you and your relationship. Unfortunately she isn't trying to deal with those issues and learn from her parent's mistakes. I think Terry said it well when she commented about maybe she doesn't realize the similarities between her and her mother. This is in no way an excuse for her behavior. NOT AT ALL,

ohc said...

The apple did not fall far from the tree. I am with BG on this.
*Hard hugs, Cad*

terry said...

you know, cadbury, i worry about you when you go this long without posting..

hope all's well.

xoxo

SignGurl said...

Run away and never look back!