Friday, September 21, 2007

control, loss of control, and rescuing

Lara wrote this on her blog:
"Speaking of random.. sometimes I think my life is random. Like I have no control over where I go, what I do, or whether or not I'm on time.

Or maybe that's just a result of being the parent of teens?"

Lara's post Me, randomized *warning for those at work - adult content - nudity*

it made me think about the issue of control over what a person does in their own life. Honi also has a very thought provoking post on the issue of control *warning for those at work - music will play from the link to Honi's post*

my reply to lara is posted below:
when i split with my stbx i discovered that i didn't have nearly the time i used to have to do things - not things i wanted to do - just all the things i did do - especially the driving and doing for the kids. i had to let some of it go - and demand that they deal with more of their own things

i had tried so hard to be the good parent who allowed his kids to be kids that i didn't get any *me time* - and spent all my time being a servant - or servitor to my kids

my choice - but when they became upset or resentful that i wasn't always there to cater to their every whim or to solve every one of their problems or their fuck-ups of their own doing...

i was always anticipating other people's failures so that i could be the rescuer

i decided that being good to them might have gone a little far

i don't know if that applies to your situation - but it might - from what i have read

as i read my reply above i noticed one line in particular:

"i was always anticipating other people's failures so that i could be the rescuer"

i wrote last year about my son rescuing his friend who was having issues with his parents. those parents kicked their son out and he is now living (paying room and board) at stbx-Mrs_C's house (this is one of the things i've had in the works to write in detail about, but work has been crazy).

another of my son's other friends is having serious issues with his parents - they moved out of the city to a small town just outside (pseudo-suburb-nuevo-riche develoment). this friend got pounded on by the local boys - small town kids resentful of the nuevo-riche types moving into the new development. the kid is turning 16 in about 6 weeks - he has now moved in at stbx-Mrs_C's place too - as of today - and will be returning to the school my son attends. he stayed at my place last night and will be moving in with stbx-Mrs_C and the happy gang at the house today. he will theoretically be moving home when he is 16 and gets his driver's license and can drive himself to school. he will theoretically get a job to pay for his own gas - his parents will partially subsidise a beater car.

in both of these instances i fault the parents. in the first the parents are born-again strict types (and who are also [in my experience of the last 2 1/2 years] self-centred assholes), in the second the boy is the child of the mother and was adopted by the father - there are now 3 other children who are full blood of the father. the father is a merciless asshole to my son's friend and lavishes gifts on his own blood children and tells the oldest boy (my son's friend) that he is useless, blah, blah, blah. i've known this boy since he was 5 years old - and have known the family well - i have witnessed and heard for too many years.

i have chosen not to get involved with the rescue of this boy. i will do what i can - he can stay at my place sometimes when my son is there - i will feed him as appropriate - if he ends up stranded somewhere i may go pick him up - but in his life choices i will not rescue him.

*interlude*
(in other things i haven't written about...) my mom and dad have had a pretty rough spell in their relationship recently. my dad has been trying to drag me in to it. to take sides. i have resisted and got into a bit of a wrangle with dad. dad turned the screws on me a bit (guilt, money i owe him/them). it hurt. dad then changed tactics and tried to start telling me how to live my life and manage my affairs instead of attending to his own life and relationship

*close interlude*

with regard for the newly dispossessed child - i sent this email to Smitten this morning:

i'm feeling pretty bad for [M-friend] this morning

i was making lunch for him and i asked if he liked mustard - he says "oh, [Cadbury] you don't have to make me lunch..."

i said "fuck you [M-friend] - that's what i was telling you last night - you're not alone - you don't have to do it all on your own - you can accept help"

he walked away for a minute and then came back and said "oh, and [Cadbury], for the record - i do like mustard"

----

i'm going to have to do some work with him. i'm going to probably need to talk to at least [Son], and probably to [stbx-Mrs_C]

[M-friend] is so fearful of being a burden - i think an aftereffect of [M-friend's dad] constantly telling him how useless he is and how he never does enough (sound familiar?)

but i am not going to become a caregiver for him - i have to focus on me - and my life

i could easily try to solve his problems - like my dad trying to tell me how to run my life - but i'm not going to


blah, blah, blah

----

[later edit]
excerpt from Smitten's reply :

Something to think about: Although I understand why you feel you need to talk to your ex about [M-friend], however think about the mixed message that you will send her if you do that... You have set the precedent (from what you have told me) that you will only talk with her through your lawyer or on paper. If you begin to talk with her about [M-friend], then that boundary means nothing.

----

and the blah, blah, blah goes on [surprise musical link]

9 comments:

Zephyr said...

I don't know... maybe you're right. I'm definitely a caretaker type. But I also insist that they help out, though not to the extent that my hubby pushes them. He finds them work, just for the sake of them working. I have no problem with them helping out, but I don't make them do things that they can't do well (i.e. fold/sort clothes... they don't fold well, and the clothes are never sorted for the appropriate people so I end up redoing it). Instead I prefer to have them do things they can succeed at, that I really do need help with (yard work, putting their clothes away, cleaning up their own messes, etc). Our house rule is "leave it like you found it... or better". They are expected to put their own things away.

But my schedule is complicated just by the simple transportation to/from activities and keeping track of where everyone has to be & when. I have to keep everyone's schedules in my head... and my hubby wonders why I forget to buy his batteries for him!

The one thing I won't do is be responsible for things I forget or just didn't get done. If hubby is running out of jeans, I consider it his responsibility to tell me to make sure I wash a load of jeans or to do it himself. I refuse to accept blame for him not having clean clothes if he didn't tell me he was running short. (Yes, that's been a fight issue many times!)

If a kid is supposed to be somewhere, I do my best to get them there. But if I forget, it's not my problem, it's his/hers for forgetting as well.

I do my best, and that's going to be enough.

cadbury_vw said...

with what you have described, your kids do more than mine. my kids do (did) pretty much nada...

i have trained them to do each task in the house, but usually ended up doing it. this fall season i have embarked on an "if you don't do the dishes each day after school, no computer" with my son (since daughter is still not living with me).

i had been sloughing imposing housework discipline until i got my own house. that's not happening so i made this fall the start in the apartment.

our situations do not sound exactly alike - your transportation distances and the car pooling you do complicates your life and schedule a lot more than mine.

you are a more advanced than i am on putting the responsibility onto the others for their own forgetfulness. i would usually strain myself to rescue them.

as for spousal stuff...

Smitten has expressed incredulity that i would assume responsibility for even stuff like remembering to buy tampons and such while i was married...

i spent a lot of time anticipating where others would forget and miss things and put back-up plans and preparations in place in expectation of the need for them.

so you are ahead of me Lara

SignGurl said...

This is totally off topic, but why in the heck are you taking on a child that is not yours when it was STBEX's decision? Is this something you BOTH agreed to? I'm just wondering if she is playing you again since she knows your penchant for being a caregiver.

cadbury_vw said...

SignGurl:

good point. both the one that you made and one implied (intentionally or not) - why am i taking on any caregiving role whatsoever?

- i let him stay overnight last night because my son asked me

- as noted, i anticipate need - it's part of my nature. perhaps one that cries out for some self-examination (but hey - that's part of the point of having a blog rather than just a diary - so people can at least occasionally say "give your head a shake").

i anticipate the need that my son will ask if he can stay over at my place a few times while he is staying at the stbx's. [M-friend] has stayed over plenty of times in the past 10 years - including at my apartment. i made it extremely clear last year with the other friend and now with [M-friend] to my son, that his friends were not welcome to move into the apartment

he didn't even ask

SignGurl said...

Thanks for clearing that up. My concern was that STBEX was pushing friend M, on you with your kids so she could have the house to herself while you were caregiver to someone that she agreed to be in charge of. (sorry about the run on sentence)

JsTzznU said...

Mr. C A good friend of mine told me once when I first left my X, NO NOT TALK TO HER! Go through the attorney ONLY... Oh how I wish I had followed his advise!! Maybe It wouldn't have taken all move 3 years to finish my divorce! Take Smitten's advise =)

t_cole said...

i call this the Messiah Complex.
but you have to know - and it seems you do - you can't "Save" everyone...

cadbury_vw said...

Messianic complex

"Messianic complex is a psychological state in which the individual believes him/herself to be, or is destined to become, the saviour of the particular field, a group, an event, a time period, or in an extreme scenario, the world.

People with Messianic Complexes tend to see themselves as saviours to a specific group of people or a specific field, making claims of their own glory, or claiming a self awareness of their own gift and how that gift can affect a group of people or a field of life.

In the most extreme cases, people with Messianic Complexes may see themselves as spiritual/religious Messiahs with transcendent powers who are destined to save the world."

Wikipedia - Messianic Complex

Honi said...

I am one who brushes BS aside.. this is how I look at it.. do you like the kid? does it make you feel good to guide him or help him a little? do you think you might make his world a better place if you reach out..... I am not saying solve the problems of the world.. I am saying that if you 'save' rescue .. befriend.. call it what you wish....one person it is as if you have saved the world.. to paraphrase from an old Jewish proverb.. I think its good to help people as long as it does not affect you in a negative way. I think thats a huge problem in our world. too many people want to look the other way. Or are too busy... or just simply don't have the time or energy to reach out... I think reaching out is good... Do what is comfortable to you..