Tuesday, January 23, 2007

baking bread and dance class

in happier cadbury news:

i successfully baked 4 loaves of spelt and buckwheat bread (primarily spelt) along with a dozen buns (mini-loaves). the bread is bakery quality in it's texture and taste. it took me about 4 hours to put it all together, but it was a rousing success.

i am very happy. that last loaf was OK, these were great. picture below:




I arranged for dance classes this week. The other stuff that has been going on in my life knocked it out as a priority, but I decided there was no time like the present. I hooked up with a local non-profit dance society/club that offers classes and got us in.

Smitten and I have just attended our first lesson and are learning the Cha Cha and the Merengue.

Ninety minute sessions once per week (one hour lesson, half hour practice). It was fun. A little nerve wracking for me. I sooooooo wanted to do well. I can follow a beat, and love to dance, but I am not so swell with learning steps - especially ion that short time. We will be practicing this weekend.

7 comments:

Brandi said...

I am soooo jealous!!!!
I have been talking to my husband about taking dance lessons. He seemed mildly interested. Maybe I should be the one to sign us up, instead of just "waiting" for him to do it. LOL
I bet it's a lot of fun to get out learn something you can do together!

SignGurl said...

You both will have so much fun. The looser you get the more fun it gets! Enjoy!

Nobody said...

How FUNNNNNN!!! I would LOVE to take ballroom dance classed, but my Adam has two left feet!!!

Yummy looking bread!

ohc said...

WOW, I am impressed! The bread looks wonderful! I just love the mini loaves. Glad you are doing the dancing lessons! Sounds like fun!

Mouthy Girl said...

I want that bread recipe. A friend of mine lives on spelt. Give it up!

Dancing With the Stars! I see it in your future!

Balloon Pirate said...

please to explain: spelt.

does it go well with fish? especially smelt?

the bread would look better displayed on a cloth...perhaps felt?

especially in Africa, on the veldt.

yeharr

cadbury_vw said...

BP: "Spelt (Triticum spelta) was an important wheat species in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times. It now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe, but has found a new market as a health food."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

http://www.spelt.com/

BG: the core recipe I used can be found here: Steep Hill Spelt Recipes

i have also purchased a number of alternative grains cookbooks including The Spelt Cookbook (Helga Hughes) which i used to modify the recipe

i will post the modified recipe sometime this weekend but i am dashing to a party right now