Friday, January 05, 2007

Lucky for me I got off my ass

Smitten realised the other day that she had been without her kids for two years in a row at New Year's. Or, more precisely, that her ex-husband had them for two years running. She spoke to him about it. She told him that she was sorry, and that next year they should make sure that she has them so that he and his girlfriend can do something on New Year's.

He said "Doesn't matter. One day is the same as the next. Probably won't be doing anything anyway."

She told me that at that moment, it all came flooding back to her why she left him. Why she had been unhappy.

I thought to myself, and later said to her "Good thing I got the motivation to put together the evening of events, hey?"

If you recall the other post, we had both been feeling a little listless and unable to make up our minds about what to do. I am usually a can do kind of guy (like organizing the weekends away and doing most of the shopping and cooking for the party), but this Christmas hiatus period was a little tired and sucky. I am pleased that I got my shit together enough to come up with the night out.

Especially in light of her above stated comment, and in light of some of her previous statements about not wanting to have to always be the one to plan and make everything happen.

3 comments:

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . . when you have been in a long term relationship. . . . like you both have. . . . sometimes. . . . out of the blue. . . . something will hit you. . . . then you take a deep breath. . . . you remember you much effort you put into making that relationship work . . . . and you hug the one you're with. . . . and even if you don't say it out loud. . . . you think. . . I am so thankful for you. What was I thinking for so many years.
Ciao

ohc said...

Yeah, sometimes it is nice when the guys take over...good move, Cad!

And yes, the bleaching is working!
Just don't fall asleep with the tray in!

Happy New Year, my friend!

Helene said...

yes lucky that you did and a good wake up call too!

I sooo relate to her

' not wanting to have to always be the one to plan and make everything happen.' Good for you to recognize this and value your relationship enough to make things happen!

Happy NY