Monday, June 18, 2007

fig tree

before i was married i had this fig tree.

i bought the fig tree and was going to put it in my apartment.

you see i had his big split with my best friend/roommate awhile earlier (about a year). he was a guy who was constantly criticising/needling me and telling me how i needed to improve my life (sound familiar?). he was more outgoing than me, he was slim, he was athletic, he was blond and not going bald. and had a really big schlong (observation and reports from girlfriends).

i had recovered financially and was putting my life together - i had moved out of the hole i was living in into a decent apartment. i was going to have an apartment my way.

one of the things i wanted was a fig tree. i thought they were cool. i bought it and left it in my car on a very hot day. i only left it for about 10 minutes, but it dropped all it's leaves and turned into sticks.

i clipped and trimmed and tried to save it. eventually it was down to a stick with a sort of green bud out the side. i fertilised, i gave it light, i did everything i could find.

stb-Mrs_C (at the time) couldn't understand why i would keep the plant. i felt responsible for having injured it by my stupid action of leaving it in the car. i wasn't going to abandon the plant and kill it because of my failure.

eventually we got married and the plant went with me to our mutual place

it had its one leaf now - not just a green bud.

one day i came home and the fig tree was gone. stbx-Mrs_C had thrown it out because it wasn't worth saving the tree and she didn't know why i wasted my time on it. it apparently made our apartment "ugly"

she wouldn't ever agree to have a fig tree again "they're too hard to grow"

----

i have a new fig tree now

Smitten bought it for me. i am 100% certain that it was intended to be a symbolic message to me, as well as just buying me a gift i liked

i have been dutifully watering it and fertilising it

it has grown quite a bit

the lady who sold it to us warned that fig trees drop their leaves at any kind of shock and that it might look a little sad until it adjusted to it's new place - and not to move it or it will lose its leaves

it lost no leaves

it has lost only one leaf to date (4-6 weeks or so)

i like my fig tree

5 comments:

t_cole said...

i like your fig tree too.
very much.

Balloon Pirate said...

Amazing how one event can encapsulate so much.

STBX doesn't mean to hurt you. It's not her intention. It's just that she isn't really capable of internalizing other people's feelings.

Well. she may try to hurt her now, since you're recovering and she's still in her addictive state, and aren't playing by the rules that have been so satisfying to her previously. But the things she did weren't spiteful, any more than a cat playing with a mouse until it dies is spiteful. It's all she knows. Truly, it's all she knows.

And yes, I'm writing about you and your situation, but it applies to me as well.

And which would you rather be--right, or happy? Remember, your best thinking got you into your current situation.

And thanks for dropping the word thing.

yeharr

Kristin said...

I like Smitten :-)

Mouthy Girl said...

I fucking love your fig tree as well as any others I come across! There's a guy at my downtown farmers market who sells the most delightful fresh figs.

Whenever I see him with some of those lucious tidbits, I buy every single one! I made some fig jam last summer too! Yumola!

I think anyone who purposely lies in wait to throw out someone else's IMPORTANT fig tree is an ass-clown.

Big Pissy said...

I like your fig tree AND Smitten. :)