Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Asked A Woman Out

I asked a woman out today. She works in another work unit in the building. I've known her for a few years - we like each other. I asked her to go to a jazz club on Friday night. She said yes.

Then she sent me an email saying no.

She said she recently got dumped and had been broken hearted, and just started seeing another guy. She said she wants to see where the other relationship goes, and doesn't want to mess it up.

"You are a great guy and I hope you don't take this personally,
Sorry,"

I wandered down to her office and told her that I was fine with everything, and that I had taken a flyer not knowing if she was dating someone or not.

She said that given her situation and mine, it would not work for her.

I said I was sorry if I had made things awkward for her at all.

She said no, and hoped I was OK with it.

I said I was.

----

I had previously checked out whether she was dating or not with a mutual friend in her office, and to my friend's knowledge she wasn't dating as of a couple of weeks ago.

I suspect one of two scenarios: 1) She got cold feet because of potential complications. 2) Her explanation is 100% legit.

Either way, I probably took the leap too soon.

Oh, well.

Maybe after my situation clears up.

or

whatever

[later edit]

i just got off the phone with my friend. she said the woman i asked out was sincere both in initially wanting to go out with me, and the situation of her declination.

my friend said they both said they thought i had "seriously brass balls" (their words, not mine) for asking that quickly after separating and not choking - and handling the turndown with aplomb and grace...

as above

whatever

now i need to find someone else to go out with Friday night

anybody up for an evening of acid jazz with a live DJ at a funky bistro?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd love to. But it won't work for me either. Way too complicated! Still married! Oh well.

Big Pissy said...

Go Cad!

I have a good friend who would be perfect for you: 38 yrs old, blonde, an attorney with the State (not a DA)....but she lives in Montgomery...

*sigh*

cadbury_vw said...

my nieces (wife's side) said they might go with me

DevilBlueDress - it's just acid jazz and a couple of drinks... but california is a long way away

BP - i suspect that would be too far a distance as well, but hey, if i win the lotto...

thank-you sis - i would enjoy the company

terry said...

sounds like a grand evening. too bad it's so far away.

and yeah, you may have made the move too soon, but i think it's great you're moving forward and thinking of the future.