Friday, July 07, 2006

Interlude

My daughter (10) cried when I left last night. That was bad. I tried to console her as best I could before I left.

When I went to sleep on the first full day away, it was hard to not have someone to hold.

I still can't take looking at our backyard and our garden. The tree-fort I built for the kids, the raised beds I built - with Mrs-C's perfectly tended and spaced rows in them. The flowers. The deck, the doghouse (all-weather +100 to -55) and kennel, the bricked and groveled pathways. We did it together and for each other. It is iconic of a dying or dead dream. That yard is the hardest thing to deal with.

Mrs_C is losing her shellshock and is starting to work me to come back - already. She called me on my cell at 8:30am to tell me that she read an article on the net that said that time-outs from a marriage shouldn't be more than 3 weeks. I said we would stick to plan and see the counselor next week and see how things worked out.

I/we framed the situation as a need for a time-out to see if things will work, with the possibility things could work out - that line was specifically formulated for daughter.

Even Mrs_C used the word "if" things work out.

Now she is trying to rewrite things.

Not unexpected.

I'm not going to the west coast with my parents as I originally planned. I can't afford it. Well, I can, but prudence dictates that I hoard/hide cash and/or pay down credit card debt - that can always be converted back to cash.

I'm planning a pretty funky set of day and overnight trips within a couple of hours of my city. I am calling in favours and leaning on friends and relatives.

I seem to have a surfeit of goodwill toward me out there.

I am also cheesily leaning on the happiness of my children and their well-being to make people feel guilty - and making them all feel good. Most of my friends and co-workers are pathological and career do-gooders, so appealing to their sense of do-goodness is a fine idea.

My daughter has a smile and a personality that would make Sauron want to bake brownies with her. My son (14) is highly thought of by my do-gooder friends and family as well.

People want to help me out. That is good.

I am taking daughter out to learn how to ride a horse starting this Sunday - for free - a friend - this horse is a mare with a new colt (4 weeks old). This friend had a bad divorce about a year ago. He has grown children, and grand-kids about my daughters age. He has realised his errors of life focus - being in the "action" - and is looking for redemption for being a grumpy regularly absent father by being the nicest grandfather he can. He is thrilled to teach my daughter to ride.

I am leaning on friends and relatives with cottages and livestock farms to have us do stuff at their places, stay for free, and show us around.

I think it will be OK. The only potential negative vector, as always, will be if Mrs_C decides to lose it...

My apartment is OK. Only two bedrooms right now - the kids will have to share and bunk-bed it for the next couple of months while I sort out permanent arrangements. I'm looking for a house (dog considerations).

I will be furnished in early "Art Scroungo" style. I will have to sew furniture covers and curtains. I think I will be able to do OK from a decorating and style sense. I want to have nice surroundings for myself and for the kids.

When I talked to my son a month or so back, and we drove past some rental townhouses, he said "Hey Dad - can we decorate any place we get? Can we have pictures on the wall? [girl from school] lives in one of those places, and it looks like they are ready to move out on a moments notice. That they don't really live there. Can we put up pictures and stuff to make it ours?"

He's right. Even if it is a transitional low(er) cost temporary apartment (it's only a couple of blocks from our house - walking distance for the kids), it needs to be someplace we are moving to. Not somewhere we are moving because we are escaping from somewhere else.

I will make a home for myself and my children.

4 comments:

ohc said...

Cadbury, you are moving in a great direction. Keeping yourself and the kids busy is the best. I am glad you see the new road you are on. Keep moving...Even though the yard is iconic of a dead or dying dream, you have a chance to refresh. A chance to reinvent, a chance to rebuild...Keep the memory of good things and good times alive...they were real. You will always have that. Now you have a sense of knowing you have done all that is right and good. You are amazing!

CP said...

Any place Dad is...is home.

You are doing great things for your children and yourself. Don't succumb to her in weaker moments and fall for her manipulations.

Stay strong and then, if you see real change occur, mull over the possibility of reuniting. But for now, enjoy this time.

CP.

terry said...

cadbury, of course there's a lot of goodwill toward you! you're a good man.

continue to lean on your friends and relatives. that's what they're there for.

expect more tears from your daughter, more sadness of your own about the things that are no more... and i have to say, expect mrs. c to lose it. you can't do anything about that.

just continue to take care of yourself and your kids.

and keep looking forward as much as possible. there IS light at the end of the tunnel, i promise.

xoxo

Mouthy Girl said...

*hard hugs*

I'm so glad you're leaning on the carefully erected support system of friends you have! We all knew you'd have them and your parents when the time came for you to make the difficult decisions in life.

CP is right - your kids will recognize home as the time and place where the three of you come together. Decorating together, making meals together, and simply enjoying the unfettered, relaxed, and predictable time together will make new memories and soothe old wounds.

Here's to the road you've chosen...it's a beautiful one!