Monday, July 17, 2006

Moved In

I've had the beds/mattresses since last week. My brother and I assembled most of the bunkbed, and I finished it mid-week while waiting for the TV guys to come hook up my internet and TV service.

I have a TV (parents old one) and some living room furniture. I have a table and some chairs. I have a microwave (my parents old one), coffee maker, and a toaster oven. I have lamps and night tables and things.

I now have some dishes, pots and pans, flatware, cooking utensils, and various other accoutrements of a household.

There is food in the fridge and some stuff in the cupboards.

I have toilet paper and a shower curtain and limited toiletries.

I have the makings of a household. There are still boxes and stuff piled around.

The kids stayed over on Saturday night.

More stuff is still arriving, and as I am sorting out what I have, people who know me (friends and co-workers) are volunteering more stuff - at times pulling it out of their own cupboards and/or buying me stuff - yeah - some people are buying stuff to make it easier for me.

I've been asked to make a list of what I need.

There is a consensus emerging (directly stated and implied by actions) that most of the people who know me don't want me to go back to Mrs_C.

It's not just because they are my friends and they are helping me out, or are bailing me out of an action I've taken... in the cases where I have inquired this is a well formed opinion. These folks apparently haven't been happy for some years with how Mrs_C conducted herself toward me.

The 50+ women are the harshest in their comments.

Not blowing my horn, but apparently I am the best Dad they've ever seen - and apparently a good spouse too... Just so my head doesn't swell, they still happily list various of my other faults - including not getting stuff done on time, forgetting things, and a messy office.

Also, apparently no one else has noticed any problem with me being able to express myself emotionally.

I'm putting the above comments in this post, not to ask for accolades or anything, but because I need to keep reinforcing positive ideas. Emotionally, for me, sometimes things are good and sometimes things are bad. I need to reinforce to me, in my own mind, that I am a good person and that I am not "destroying our family".

I am also posting these comments because I am looking around with clearer eyes. Some of what I am seeing is new to me. My parents' exhortations to "just get some sleep" are proving to be true. I feel like I have just woken up. I'm a little wobbly and a little groggy, but I have new eyes for this situation.

By saying it out loud (or by posting it here) it becomes more real. The understanding becomes more real.

8 comments:

terry said...

you are a good person, cad. and you're not destroying your family.
you're saving yourself. and your kids. and ultimately, mrs c.

you deserve to be happy. all of you.

Zephyr said...

What Terry said.

*hugs*

Big Pissy said...

I agree with Terry and Lara.

Take care of yourself and your kids.

*hugs*

ohc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ohc said...

You ARE a good person...you are saving lives not destroying them.

I praise the comments you are hearing...they are positive reminders that you are, indeed, doing the right thing!

You are making a home! YAY!

Mouthy Girl said...

Good times. This is a new beginning.

Let the kids help you unpack and organize the house if they happen to show an interest. Doing that will help them feel as though it's "our" place, rather than "dad's" place.

I know firsthand that hearing compliments and feeling support from those around you can help make even the worst experience a beautiful one. I'm glad you're listening to the wonderful things people are saying to you. I'm also glad some of the females are telling it like it is. A bunch of honesty is priceless.

Keep your chin up! I'm so very proud of you!

Nobody said...

Cadbury- Keep. Walking. Forward.

The past is the past.

Glimpse back fondly at the good memories.

Then turn back around and continue forward on your new journey.

Deb said...

I was reading some of your material. Sorry for what you've been through. You seem to be heading in a better direction--just stay focused and know that you're a good person with good intentions. Positive thinking and positive words reinforce positive actions and outcomes.

Good luck with the new place!