Thursday, July 13, 2006

Other Things On My Mind

1) I am thinking I will see how we survive in the apartment over the next month or two - especially come school. If we are doing OK - even though I don't like the idea of the kids having to share the room, it will only be for week on week off.

I could clear up some serious amount of bills by staying in the apartment and not trying for the house. Next spring my car payment is dead, another payment is dead, and I will have knocked a huge whack off my credit cards - I would be in a much stronger position to buy the house. I could make it right now, but I would have to shave some corners, and in a couple of months have to lean on my parents.

Even if housing prices went up by 5 - 7% (our city has a fairly strong upward trend in property prices right now - booming economy) I would have about $1200 per month after those payments are gone. That would make things much easier - even if I had to pay another $5-10,000 for the house.

2) My poor son (14) is being driven to a state of mental exhaustion by Mrs_C and by the stress of the situation. I feel very badly for him. I really want the apartment to be ready (should be ready Saturday) so he can have a refuge.

My only consolation is that I know he will survive. He will not have a breakdown in the next week, and he will then have my place to escape to.

I have to be able to help him in the long term, so I have to leave him hanging a little right now.

3) Mrs_C wants me to go to her sister's condo in the mountains in August. I don't think I will. When I mentioned it to the kids, they rolled their eyes and were not very favourably responsive toward - negative in fact.

4) Somehow, when I was imagining things before hand, my place was a whole lot "cooler" than it is...

I'm a little disappointed.

I think it's also because it's a shambles and half moved into. I think I will be happier once I am actually moved in and have been able to spend a couple of hundred dollars on customising it.

A few African curios and masks, some Indian bits and pieces from my travel collection (remember the boxes Mrs_C made me put away?). A few of my friend's paintings - it should be much better.

I'm just anxious. I want it to be nice.

----

My Dad came up to visit my place tonight. He said he thought "it will be an entirely livable space." Yes - he speaks like that...

Time to sleep. Time to give the thinking a rest.

5 comments:

ohc said...

I just know that the apartment will be great once you get settled! It sounds as if you have a great taste and decorating style. It will be ok. REALLY! I also know the kids will be fine. I hate to think Mrs.C is waging mental games on them. But, they have a light at the end of the tunnel, that light is YOU! And your parents.

Perhaps waiting is best. With clear finances you will be able to have a few more options. Also, you may decide to move in a different direction and not so close to Mrs. C. Take baby steps for now. Then the other things will just fall in place.

I am glad you opted not to do the August trip. You and the kids need that break. Mrs. C still needs to get it together, if she can.

Also, I can help out in the art department if you would like more art.

You sound good, Cadbury. Good and positive. :)

Nobody said...

Hang in there , Babycakes!!!

Big Pissy said...

You are doing so well!

Hang in there, Cad!

and I agree with hippi...except I can't provide you with any art.

Sorry. I am not artistic in the least! ;-)

terry said...

hippi's right. once you put your stamp on it, it will feel like home.

it's just all so new. it takes awhile to get used to these changes.

you will, though. and so will your kids.

you're doing really well. hang in there, and know that you have a whole lot of support!

CP said...

The apartment will be great. Don't go anywhere with the Mrs. until you know if you are willing to pursue this relationship. You just keep doing what you are doing.

CP.