Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Menu

Yes, I know it's not plated in the most spectacular way, but I was in a hurry and I had to make it able to be stakced in a normal domestic fridge.

|

Smoked Turkey (yes - I know the contrast on this pic makes it look horrifying)

|

Zero Fat Homemade Split Pea and Vegetable Soup


|

Salad (garden: tomatoes, green onions, and parsley; store lettuce)

|

Cucumber, Bean Sprouts, and Garden Tomato plate


|

Brown Rice

|

Canteloupe


|

Carrots (we had some in the garden, but I didn't feel like washing and scrubbing that day)

|

Meatballs (in case my daughter wanted some... she loves meatballs)


And the coffee maker...


It made my day to hear that they had sort of stumbled in through the door, and Daughter opened the fridge and yelled out in a most excited voice "MOM! WE HAVE FOOD!!!"

They got back into town earlier than I expected, so when I went to drop daughter renewed library books off, they were home. I stayed to eat with them and listen to their stories.

It turns out Mrs_C did have a small can of really crappy coffee stashed in a cupboard. Her Mother hates the premium stuff I/we buy and brought a can of crap once.

More commentary on their vacation tomorrow.

[Later Edit]
Yes, I know I'm wallowing in this. But it was such a resounding success that I had to share it. They hadn't eaten since 2pm and they arrived home around 9pm. The kids ate huge amounts - every last bean sprout. And they all enjoyed it becuase they had been eating heavy Greek food and road food for the previous 10 days.

I'm just really delighted when ideas work well. I anticpated a need and a scenario and was exactly correct in my delivery. "Getting it right" makes me so happy.

2 comments:

Big Pissy said...

You are such a good dad....

Your daughter sounds like such a fun girl! :)

Nobody said...

Very nice Caddy. I agree... great dad.