Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Valentine's Day

So I'm contemplating Valentine's Day with Smitten. We do not have the kids.

I have two options before me:

1) Dinner out
2) Dinner at my place

I am checking for reservation on a place she wants to go.

If that fails, I think I will make a dinner at my place. I want to add a few extra touches to the event. I am having a grphic artist friend on mine make a Valentine's background for a custom dinner invitation.

I am interested in some suggestions as to things I could do around the apartment that would be "extra touches" that would help make it "special" that won't cause me to have my usual cold sweat panic in preparations.

I will have things set up with a table cloth and red candles. I was going to put a swack of other candles around and make the entire deal candle lit (have to figure out how to do lighting in the kitchen or what to make that won't require much light for final serving...). I was going to have roses or other flowers. I was thinking of flowers as part of the presentation on the plates as well. A small chocolate fondue and some fruit.

What else?

I was looking at some kind of crepe for dinner - probably seafood. A steamed vegetable, and a salad. I don't know on appetizers yet.

Not too much food because she doesn't really eat too much... I made enough for about a dozen people that last dinner. I think I will concentrate more on plating ideas for this meal. If I only have thre courses, each of us could have a plate for each course and I could do something funky with each plate.

Help me out people.

Please.

5 comments:

SignGurl said...

A small gift on her plate is a nice touch. Maybe a small box of chocolates?

I personally love the dinner at home by candelight idea. It's so much more personal. You never know when the mood may hit you so it's always good to be close to home ;)

terry said...

cad, cad, cad.... RELAX!

you already have such lovely touches planned. now just focus on her and your time together. i'm sure that's exactly what she wants.

she DOESN'T want you stressing over this. i'm sure of that.

Balloon Pirate said...

Don't overthink it. Simple touches are the best--it sounds like you're already close to putting her into sensory overload.

Close the door to the kitchen. Cooking in the dark is too dangerous. If there's no door, make a drape of some sort. Or just turn out the light when you're done.

I'm with Terry. Actually, I wish I WAS with Terry. Relax. Breathe, This is your dinner too, enjoy it.

Just stay away from Fluffy Mackerel Pudding.

yeharr

Big Pissy said...

I agree with what everyone else has already said...I like signgurl's ideas and terry and balloon pirate both offer good advice.

Take it and enjoy! :)

terry said...

awww, pirate... i'm touched!


(sorry cad.. i just hijacked your blog for a moment...)