Thursday, February 08, 2007

Weekend Event


Going to an event with Smitten this weekend. It's an artsy gala thing with artists, local filmakers, music and recording industry people, multi-media people and many politicals. This is the sort of "happening" event that I had to go to alone for so long. It is the sort of event Smitten had fantasized about going to on a social - a non-work basis.

It is an event where you will find people in everything from jeans to Armanis.

I didn't feel comfortable in any of the clothes I have, so I went out and bought some new stuff. I had sloughed the consideration of clothing for too long.

I was pretty anxiety ridden while and after buying it. I wasn't sure if I would look ridiculous, or if I had just wasted a swack of money... Remember, i am trying to move my fashion state from vaguely stodgy/conservative/classic to something more dynamic. I have not been looking at anything but "long term wear" as a variable for years.


Also, I was wearing scarily older guy clothes while trying stuff on in the "hip" store. I had not shaved. I saw it on me and it looked terrible given the combo of street clothes and the suit. But I could see the potential. I really want to look good at this event, so my choice is important to me.

I want to be hip and fashionable, but not trying a ridiculous attempt at youth.

I bought a charcoal/black coloured suit from a local trendy store that would be appropriate on either Dr. Evil or Dr. Hugo Drax (the villain from Moonraker). It does however have an interesting shimmer in the fabric.

As I was trying it on at the store son told me I looked like a comic book supervillain. That was what really clinched the decision for me. If I'm going to a sort of pretentious artsy thing, what could be cooler than a sort of Dr. Evil/Lex Luthor look?

When I got home I shaved my face and my head (my head to extremely short stubble, not smooth). Then I tried it on with the shirts I had in mind (purchased from the same store before new year's). It looked great. Son said I was looking "vaguely sinister" (with a laugh [It does look kind of intimiidating]). He thinks I look great in it, though.

8 comments:

SignGurl said...

New threads always make you feel like a new person.

Big Pissy said...

I'm sure you'll look great.

Be sure to post a picture! :)

Balloon Pirate said...

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

yeharr

cadbury_vw said...

heu pirate,

would that be sort of like a shorn avacado?

Balloon Pirate said...

oooh--touche.

yeharr

southern peach said...

Have fun Cadbury! I am sure you will look great in your new clothes! I am with pissy...post a pic!

ohc said...

I am sure you will look splendid! Sounds like a great event! I am with everyone else...photos...

Be careful with the 'avacado.' lol.

Brandi said...

Sounds like the kind of event I'd like to go to!
I think when you go to a social event it really helps to look your best. Not only does it boost the ol confidence, but you never know who you'll meet.