Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Thanksgiving treat

It's Canadian Thanksgiving coming up.

Mrs_C has the kids. I'm heading out of town to a log cabin a friend of mine has up north. Smitten and I are going away for the weekend.

The kids are here.

My parents asked if the kids could come over for supper on Sunday. I asked Mrs_C. After checking when her family was having dinner (Monday), Mrs_C said sure. And then she said "Maybe I'll go to your parents' place with them."

That would be without me. With my whole family.

I thought it was more than a bit of gall.

Mrs_C announces to me that she's going to phone my parents directly. And then did...

My father, ever the skilled tactician demurred her self-invitation and arranged that he would pick up the kids. He said it was an encounter that took a lifetime of politcal skills to get through. His comment "After that little piece of maneuvering, I can understand why she tied you up in knots so often. She is very skilled. Give her the tiniest openning and she can exploit it."

It's som kind of weird new tactic. She asked him "So will I never be welcome at your place again?" Dad had a diplomatic answer that boiled down to: sometime yes, this time no.

I think it is kind of weird that she would feel comfortable in trying to invite herself over after all the character assasination that she did toward me with her family. And the reception my parents gave her was a marked contrast with the open hostility her family exhibited when I was around them a couple of times since all this broke.

I dunno.

We'll see where she's going with this. Mrs_C has always been a couple of boatlengths ahead of me on most of her stuff, so I am just waiting to see where this one leads...

3 comments:

SignGurl said...

I'm confused, are the kids going to be with you and Smitten this weekend? Or just for Thanksgiving? Will Smitten be at your parents' Thanksgiving dinner? I know, I know, I'm blonde. Bear with me.

cadbury_vw said...

my kids are with mrs_c from friday 5-6pm until the next friday

my kids are going to my parents during mrs_c's week

mrs_c tried to finagle an invite with the kids to my parents' place for dinner

i will not be at my parents for thanksgiving dinner

i will be 7 hours away in the bush in a log cabin on a lake with smitten

SignGurl said...

Thanks for clearing that up :)