Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Weekend - The Story

What a wonderful weekend. It was incredible. It was beyond compare.

The trip up was fun. 7 hours straight to talk. And we talked. Talked and listened to music. Shared our music collections going up - songs we liked - music from our respective pasts - our present playlists.

We left a little later than expected (we were yakking too much while getting ready), so we got up there after it was already dark. Dark and raining. Gravel roads suck when it's raining - these were particularly greasy... I am pleased that Smitten was comfortable with my conservative approach to driving roads in poor weather conditions. We might have been able to make 20 minutes faster on the last part of the run after we got off blacktop, but I prefer to arrive late than go in a ditch.

We arrived safely.

We worked well together to unload the vehicle and get set up. I liked that. I knew the stove and heating for the cabin (the temperature was already just around the freezing mark) and got it lit and going. I had advised her of my order of operations (stove, chop wood, then unload). Smitten began to unload on her own and got the cabin set up while I did the first two tasks. I was very pleased. It would have been a commotion from hell and required a 15 minute discussion to even try to split tasks with Mrs_C (not that she was lazy - Mrs_C works hard - it's just the constant drama about everything - including unloading vehicles...)

Smitten was just on it.



No complaints about how dusty the cabin was. No backhanded comments about the lack of running water or the outside toilet (which Smitten was aware of in advance). No complaints about the lack of shelving or the rustic nature of the place.

(one guess who did all those and more when we used this cabin a couple of years ago...).

My God, I can't tell you what freedom and liberation it was to not have to endure constant tiny complaints and criticisms about everything that wasn't utterly perfect or was a tiny bit inconvenient. I arranged the place/the holiday. Criticisms of the place beyond basic commentary are criticisms of me. If a person spends a lot of time bitching about someplace someone else has chosen - they are sending a message: "I don't like this. You fucked up. I will endure it, but not happily. I will let you know that I'm unhappy with it."




Smitten just got things stowed, uncovered the furniture, wiped down our work and eating surfaces, and had most of the stuff from the vehicle inside (I carried the really heavy items [eg: water]) by the time I had finished chopping wood.

No spaz.

She said "I love it. I love this place. This is great. Thank-you for inviting me."

I nearly melted on the spot.

Wow.

The weekend just got better. We put on some music (batteries), enjoyed a drink and reveled in our surroundings. It really is a great cabin and great location.

Good food, good drink, good company, good conversation and experience - and an easy mutual understanding of how to split the tasks.

Much opportunity for intimate time together.

We lounged late, we made love. A lot. Hours and hours at a time. All weekend (my problems are still somewhat present but fading).

We walked and enjoyed our surroundings.

Smitten said that she was "Perfectly relaxed."

I felt like I was 20 again.

No deadlines to meet, no responsibilities beyond the moment for 2 days.

I actually felt better than 20! I am a mature adult. Capable and experienced. I feel sexier and more attractive than ever before. I feel capable of absorbing every experience that comes my way. I feel. I feel emotion. I feel a fulsome life and vitality coursing through my veins. You know that Grand Marnier feeling as it goes down - the warmth and robust sensation? I feel that.

I am alive.

And I had a person with me who was fully prepared to be responsible for their own happiness and took pleasure in sharing mine. A person who was prepared to enjoy the "rustic" nature of the weekend - not just "prepared" to enjoy, but who took actual pleasure in that rustic setting.

I was SO happy.

Happy to be with her.

Happy to have made her happy.

Happy to have finally done something right after all these years.



So happy.

11 comments:

Big Pissy said...

I'm so happy for you that you've found someone who appreciates you and how considerate you are.

Smitten must be a special lady. :)

Anonymous said...

cad, i just want to pinch your cheeks.

i'm so glad for you!

southern peach said...

*BIG SMILE* Yay for you! I couldn't be more happy or excited that you have found someone who seems so special, wonderful, and quite the match for you! I am even more glad that you no longer have Mrs. C's "stuff" to put up with! How good it must feel!

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . you will never forget these precious beginnings. . . . you will pull them back into your memory as your relationship progresses. . . and the most wonderful part is. . . it will get better . . . like wine. . . as time goes on.
Ciao

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . . you will never forget these precious beginnings. . . . you will pull them back into your memory as your relationship progresses. . . and the most wonderful part is. . . it will get better . . . like wine. . . as time goes on.
Ciao

Brandi said...

Glad to hear that things went so well!

Balloon Pirate said...

Does Smitten have an equally well-adjusted, fun, sexy sister that's single and lives in Western New York?

No?

Well, then, can I at least have the Tingler Ring?

Yeharr

Anonymous said...

Still comparing your new girlfriend to your ex-wife? What a huge mistake that is. I hope you know better than to tell her those sorts of things.

just passing on through

Zephyr said...

Comparing two experiences is inevitable. Anon might have a point (you don't want to tell her TOO much of it) but you can't help but compare today's experiences with yesterday's. It's just how life is.

I'm glad it went so well, but when possible, doing totally different things with her would also be good... so there is less TO compare. You want to build wonderful memories without comparing them to not as wonderful ones... both for your sake AND for hers.

Nobody said...

Cadbury- I don't know you.

You don't know me.

But I know your blog.

And you're writing.

And it has changed like 150%.

It's evident that you're happy and I, personally, am SO VERY HAPPY for you!!!!

Balloon Pirate said...

Anon you are a fucking moron.

In fact, you are the worst kind of moron...the kind that thinks they have something valuable to say.

Your own life is undoubtedly a trainwreck, and I'm sure you think it's because no one listens to what you tell them to do, and the few misguided, bullied saps who do are at fault when their lives go in the shitter because, well, they listened to you, but didn't do it right.

I pray to God that you are childless, or, barring that, that there's some other more positive, thougtful and non-moronic person around them that can keep them safe from your narcissistic misguided rants.

Coward.

Yeharr