Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Apartment Living

You know, having to take your laundry to another floor and stay up until it is all done is a pain in the ass. It's even more of a pain in the ass when someone hogs a machine in front of you.

I washed some laundry. 37 minutes. Then I washed another load. 37 more minutes. Someone had the dryer going and kept it going for almost 2 hours straight. They had packed the dryer completely full of jeans and towels and then just kept running it until it sort of dried.

And then they left their clothes in the dryer after midnight - and didn't leave a basket on the floor to dump them into (good etiquette in my opinion). I had to unload them at about 12:17am. And then stay up until after 2am to wait for both loads to dry.

Pissed me off.

----

At least the management turned the boiler on. It's been cold and shitty and rainy for several days. The apartment got colder and colder. Extra blankets at night...

But today they got it fired up - so at least we're not freezing.

Oh well.

Goes with the territory.

8 comments:

Sicilian said...

Mr. C. . . I agree. . . that is the worst part of apartment living. If it is possible. . . wash at times when the idiots aren't around. Many things will dry on hangers in the closet. If that helps at all.
I wish I could share some of this warm weather. It is beautiful in Texas this time of year. I was in the pool last week.
Ciao

Hazed said...

grrrr...I tried commenting earlier, but Blogger ate it. Laundry facilities suck. I remember them all too well. Is there hookup available in your apartment to acommodate a washer and dryer? Or even just one or the other? Charity shops and thrift stores are often great places to pick up use appliances, cheap. Oh, etiquette does not require you to handle the inconsiderate's laundry anymore than necessary. It is perfectly okay to take his/her laundry out of the dryer after a while and place them on top of the washer or even in the floor. I've done it. Glad the boiler's on for you, too!

Nobody said...

Everyonce in awhile, I hit the laundry mat here to wash all of our big, thick bedspreads. But I g to the local "Duds and Suds". That's laundry and beer. Helllo? MUCH more enjoyable ;)

Loops O'Fury said...

Once I lived in an apartment complex where I had to walk to another building to do laundry. That was the worst. Once I had some stuff in the dryer for about 30 minutes and some impatient jackhole took my stuff out before my time was up, and started using the dryer on my dime! I was so pissed.

But I swear I had nothing to do with the Mountain Dew Code Red that ended up in there.

Big Pissy said...

I remember those days....sucks how inconsiderate other people are....

I would have taken their clothes out and put them on top of a washing machine or a table...etc.

Two hours is just abusing the system.

Balloon Pirate said...

I hate that.

Yours is the second laundry-related post I've seen this week. The other blogger was wondering about getting a laundry service--which might be something you should consider.

I get the feeling you're a 'why-pay-when-I-can-do-it-myself' sort of man, but jeez--you're either gonna pay in time or money. I don't know your financial situation, but perhaps this might be an option for you.

I'm pulling for ya!

Thanks for the pirating this morning!

Yeharr

cadbury_vw said...

i should say that the dryer was running for that whole period packed to the gunwales with those jeans and stuff, so i couldn't take it out until it was done

i did take it out at about 12:17am and put the whole pile on top of the dryer

----

welcome s, and Loops O'Fury

Anonymous said...

i would comment, but my feelings about laundry are already well-known.

at least you have laundry in your building...